Sunday, April 2, 2017

Finished the YGW02 Strut Fixtures and YGW03 Aileron Outboard Pulley Brackets

Nothing major to report. Just a little progress.

Yando Goat Strut Fixtures
Aileron Outboard Pulley Brackets

Monday, March 27, 2017

Well, I took the easy route.

In spite of the experiences of others, I decided to use plywood as my seat base. I have a two-layer ConforFoam cushion that I think will make the seat tolerable for  long flights. I still need to stain and seal the wood.


Saturday, February 11, 2017

I have a seat back! (Sort of...)

I've pondered seat options for some time now, and was leaning toward a go cart seat until Dan went that route. He went through an extraordinary amount of effort to get that to work. Good job, Dan, but I want something easier than what you had to go through. I remembered seeing that someone on the Airchair group (and I'm sorry, but I can't find the posts now, so I don't know who it was) used catamaran trampoline material to make his seat and seat back. I decided to give that a try.

From Sailrite.com, I ordered 1 yard of the Shelter-Rite Black 61" fabric, 15 feet of the Shelter-Rite 18oz, black 3" tape, and the V-69 Black polyester UV thread at a cost of roughly $40. I also bought a Speedy Stitcher hand sewing awl.

I took a marketing class in college, and one of the things I learned is that if your product has a flaw, advertise it as just the opposite. "Speedy," is not a characteristic of the aforementioned hand sewing awl. However, it is quite handy. So far, I've spent about 7 hours cutting a piece of material to the right shape to create a back rest, stitching the tape around the edges, and then preliminarily mounting the back rest to the glider. The following photos show my work, so far:



Using the Speedy Stitcher.
Just getting the hang of using the Speedy Stitcher. Don't lean over the work like I'm doing, you'll get a backache. 
My first seam.

All seams complete.



Seat Back Front View
Seat Back rear view
























You can't really see from these photos, but I still need to sew the back rest sides around the upright tubes. The material is not tight enough, as is, to be used as a seat without drooping onto the torque control tube. If I can't get the back rest tight enough, I will probably try to find some sort of fiberglass seat pan to use as the actual seat.


Sunday, November 13, 2016

A couple more pieces done

After spending over 6 hours working on my Austria yesterday, today I spent an hour making these two brackets for the Goat:

Wing Top Forward Center Fixtures
As I said before, getting the Austria flying is my first priority, but I hope to make progress on the Goat, as well.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Just a little progress

I spent a few hours this week making the  wing center bottom fixtures. It's not much, but it's something.


Saturday, September 24, 2016

Too Many Mistresses

Well, I've accomplished only a little work on my goat lately, partly because I've been really busy traveling for work, but also because I started a second project. I and two friends bought a 1963 Standard Austria sailplane project.


The wings and tailplanes need refinished and there are some repairs to make, but it is generally in good shape. This was a really hot ship in her day, with an L/D of 34:1 and pretty good penetration into the wind. She's mostly wood, with a fiberglass nose that goes to about the center of the wings.

I haven't quit working on the Goat, but I have neglected it a bit. I would really like to get the Austria flying by April 2017, so I'm putting most of my effort there.



Saturday, July 2, 2016

Slow but steady progress

I've been working on the cabanes for weeks now, and am finally almost finished. There was more to building them than I realized. At first glance, they looked pretty easy to build, and they weren't really that hard, but they were more complicated than I thought.

The right cabane is almost completed, and the left one is not too far behind.

Right cabane almost finished, left still needs a little work.

 Once I get both of them completed, I'm looking forward to connecting the front and rear sections together for the first time. Then, as Dan says, I'll sit in it and make airplane noises!